Three generations of the Alwan family have toiled countless hours to build Alwan and Sons Meat Company into the success it is today. Roots of the business started in the south end of Peoria, with grocery and produce items the primary focus. From these early beginnings in 1947, brothers Oscar and Mason Alwan started Alwans Market. Several years later, Mason split off on his own and opened a store for his sons, Willy and Joe Alwan Sr.
Ten years later, the family business, then called Alwan Brothers was moved to Peoria Heights, where it operated as a full-service grocery store in the building where Carlson’s Market once stood. Then in 1962, a new store was constructed to increase the size of the market and parking lot. In the early 1970s, Alwan Brothers sought out a specialty niche as a butcher shop, which is still proving to be its driving force today.
In 2001, the business was renamed Alwan and Sons Meat Company. At this time, the third generation of Alwans, who had worked in the family business since they were young, stepped up to run the operation and carry on the long tradition of top quality products and service. Brothers Pat and Joe Alwan Jr., along with their cousin Brian Alwan, currently stand proud as the owners of the business. And although at one time there were four Alwan’s grocery stores in the city, today there is only one Alwan and Sons Meat Company.